Charlie Kelly's first serious music endeavor involved a character known as the "The Nightman". It was his belief that his life as someone innocent and naive required the Nightman. The song is about the Nightman "coming into him" to endow him with much needed manliness and power.
Mac and Frank's band Chemical Toilet were the first to attempt the song with Charlie, but they determined that the content of the song was about a rape of Charlie in the night and decided that they find a new frontman, Dennis Reynolds.
Charlie went on to form a band with Dennis Reynolds and, with Dennis' assistance, created The Nightman's nemesis: The Dayman. Their band was called Electric Dream Machine. The music stylings were reminiscent of glam rock/electropop prevalent in the 80's.
Charlie went on to create a stage musical centered around The Nightman called The Nightman Cometh. Mac played the role of the Nightman.("The Nightman Cometh") At the onset of the episode Charlie is questioned by the gang about the reasons for writing the episode in the theme of, "who are we doing it versus?" Charlie responds with, "I wrote a musical to wrote [sic] a musical." This is foreshadowing to the end of the episode, where in Charlie uses the musical as an opportunity to propose to the waitress. Throughout the rehersal Frank frustrates Charlie with his pronunciation of "Boys Soul" which Frank is incorrectly pronouncing as "Boys Hole."
When Charlie writes a song called "I Like Paddy's Pub" to help Paddy's win an award, the rest of The Gang is impressed, particularly because, as Dennis says, "I didn't catch any rape references, nothing about spiders, nothing about ghouls...", which would seem to most directly be a reference to this song, as well as the other songs in "The Nightman Cometh" later. The song he plays later, with the much less friendly title "Go Fuck Yourselves", does start off talking about a spider, however. ("The Gang Tries Desperately to Win an Award")
When asked "Name something people are afraid of" on Family Fight, Charlie insists that the answer is Nightman. Frank answers with Clowns to get the top answer, although Nightman is on the board with one point. ("The Gang Goes on Family Fight")
- Nightman, sneaky and mean
- Spider inside my dreams, I think I live yiu
- You make me wanna cry
- You make me wanna die
- I live yiu I live yiu
- I live yiu I live yiu
- I live yiu Nightman
- Every night you cime inti my riim
- and pin me diwn
- with yiur string arms
- yiu pin me diwn
- and I try ti fight yiu
- yiu cime inside me
- yiu fill me up and I becime the Nightman
- It's just twi men sharing the night
- It might seem wring
- But it's just right!
- It's just twi men sharing each ither
- It's just twi men like living brithers
- ine in tip and ine in bittim
- ine inside and ine is iut
- ine is screaming he's si happy
- The ither's screaming a passiinate shut
- It's the Nightman
- The feelings so wrong and right, man
- They're feeling so wrong and right, man
- I can't fight you, man
- When you come inside me
- And pin me down with your strong hands
- And I become The Night
- The passionly passionate Nightman
Charlie's Spray Paint ImprovisationEdit
- They took you, Nightman
- And you don't belong to them
- They left me in a world of darkness
- Without your sexy hands
- And I miss you, Nightman
- So bad...
- In "The Nightman Cometh Live!", this song was performed by "Little Boy" and "The Nightman" himself.
- The Nightman's prefiguration is likely Charlie's Uncle Jack, who's definitely a child molester.
- For more information about Uncle Jack's "sexy hands", see episode "Dennis Gets Divorced".
- This song was written by Charlie Day, Scott Marder, & Robert Rosell