"The Gang Tries Desperately To Win An Award" is the third episode of the ninth season of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
Tired of failing to be recognized for their years of service in the bar industry, the gang changes their ways to give the patrons what they think they want.
Please add recap here.
- Charlie Day as Charlie Kelly
- Glenn Howerton as Dennis Reynolds
- Rob McElhenney as Mac
- Kaitlin Olson as Dee Reynolds
- Danny DeVito as Frank Reynolds
- Roger Bart as Rep
- Oscar Nunez as Sudz Manager
- Chad L. Coleman as Z
- Artemis Pebdani as Artemis
- Ryan Gaul as Greg
- Burl Moseley as Maxwell
- Whitney Hoy as Amanda
- Jean St. James as Customer
- In an appearance on the Opie & Anthony Show on Sirius XM (link), Charlie Day spoke about this episode, saying it was a metaphor for the show's lack of Emmy nominations.
- After Z shows up at the bar, The Gang worries about him bringing in too many black customers, because "Black bars don't win awards." Chad Coleman, who plays Z, was a cast member on the legendary show "The Wire", which, like Sunny, was largely ignored by the Emmys (it got two nominations for writing in its entire run, winning neither.) It has long been speculated that a big reason for The Wire's snubbing was its largely black cast and its inner-city setting.
- Frank's report that the manager says that Paddy's "is just a lot of people yelling over each other" echoes a criticism that has been leveled at this show.
- The bell that they ring in SUDZ is representative of the common laugh track, heavily exploited in most sitcoms. When Mac exclaims, "I'll drink when I'm godamn good and thirsty!", shows his dislike of the forced laughter that a lot of shows exploit.
- The Gang wonders if their location is responsible for their lack of awards, but then they note that "that new bar down the street" has gotten many awards. This is probably a reference to either the show "Louie", or "American Horror Story" which also air on FX and have quite a few Emmy nominations and a few wins.
- Sunny has received an Emmy nomination before, in 2013. It was nominated again in 2014, after the episode aired. The nominations were both in the category of "Outstanding Stunt Coordination for a Comedy Series or a Variety Program." (Source)
- Alternate takes on Charlie's song. Lyrics of the alternate takes on the season 9 DVD may not be posted online at all.
- Danny DeVito has won an Emmy: in 1981 for Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series, as Louie De Palma in "Taxi". He has been nominated for an Oscar, for Best Picture in 2001 as a producer of the movie "Erin Brochovich."
- Mac had his orgasm with Dennis' mom in the episode "Mac Bangs Dennis' Mom". Judging from that episode, Barbara didn't, however.
- Frank first showed off the idea of an egg with the Paddy's logo in the episode "Paddy's Pub: Home of the Original Kitten Mittens." As in that episode, the egg was broken when he tried to give it to someone else.
- Dennis: So, guys, I got us banter cards. Mac, you're gonna welcome the customer in, then I'm gonna execute with a quip. Let's give it a shot.
- Mac: (reading from the card, in a peppy tone of voice): "Hey, I'm Mac. Welcome to Paddy's Pub. I would like to recommend to first-timers our signature blended drink, Caribbean Paradise. People say it's better than an orgasm."
- Dennis; Not that he's ever had one!
- Mac: (irate) I'VE HAD ORGASMS! I'VE HAD TONS OF ORGASMS! I'VE HAD ONE WITH YOUR MOM, DUDE! I WILL STRANGLE YOU! I'LL STICK MY GODDAM THUMB THROUGH YOUR EYE!
- Dennis: Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, dude, relax...Sit down, what are you doing?
- Mac: You came at me, and I gave it back to you hard, 'cause...
- Dennis: Um, yeah, I'm getting that. Look, I'm just doing the thing. See, what you did, that's how we normally talk. That's very aggressive.
- Mac: I came at you hard.
- Dennis: You came at me real hard, and people aren't comfortable with that sort of behavior. That's why we're trying something different here, OK?
- (Dee sighs.)
- Mac: What's wrong, Dee?
- Dee: Oh, nothing...
- Mac: Let me guess -- boyfriend troubles?
- Dee: Hmmm...
- Mac: This guy doesn't know what he's got. He's really ugly, too.
- Sudz manager: I'm sorry, are you talking to me?
- Mac: Yeah. I said her boyfriend's ugly. Pay attention, bozo.
- Dee: OK, he's not ugly, all right? That wouldn't make any sense. That's-that...He's not ugly.
- Mac: Dude's a total tool, too.
- Dee: It's...You know what he's not? He's not covered in stupid tattoos and he doesn't have a cigarette for a mother!
- Mac: (irate) What?
- (Mac starts to choke Dee)
- Mac: Don't talk shit about my mom!
- (Dennis rushes in to break it up)
- Dennis: Stop! What the hell is going on over here?
- Restaurant Association guy: That man is choking that woman!
- Dennis: Get over here. What are...What are you doing? This isn't "Will they or won't they?" This is "I know they won't, and I know I don't want them to!"
|Season 9 Episodes|
| 1. "The Gang Broke Dee"|
2. "Gun Fever Too: Still Hot"
3. "The Gang Tries Desperately to Win an Award"
4. "Mac and Dennis Buy a Timeshare"
5. "Mac Day"
|6. "The Gang Saves the Day"|
7. "The Gang Gets Quarantined"
8. "Flowers for Charlie"
9. "The Gang Makes Lethal Weapon 6"
10. "The Gang Squashes Their Beefs