|"The Gang Solves the North Korea Situation"|
|Season Three, Episode Six|
|Writer||Charlie Day & Scott Marder & Rob Rosell|
|Air Date||September 27, 2007|
| Watch this episode:|
"The Gang Solves the North Korea Situation" is the sixth episode of the third season of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
The Gang find themselves in a battle with a bar owned by a North Korean family before the upcoming pub crawl.
4:00PM on a Monday Dee is doing a horrible impression of Rosie Perez for the guys, and it's revealed she's working on it for the talent show. While Dennis, Frank and Charlie mock her lack of talent in previous shows, Mac comes in wearing a badass duster, and after explaining how it's not a jacket, Mac tells some bad news: the Korean BBQ place down the street signed up for the pub crawl, where they will be the last stop. The Gang is outraged by this, since they're always the last stop on the pub crawl, which is the only time they make any money. Frank complains that its because the bar owners are North Korean, which is the "bad Korea." The gang gets even more upset when they hear the Korean BBQ has a famous microbrew as the gang claims they are the "microbrew guys" (although Dee points out their microbrew is just trash beer poured into a container and sold for $10 a glass.) Charlie becomes outraged over the fact the alleged North Koreans are trying to steal their way of life and decides to stop them.
Frank and Mac are at the bar to make their microbrew where Frank is putting almost lethal amounts of moonshine in. He then tries to add antifreeze and Mac stops him, saying they don't want to kill anyone. Dee arrives and complains that she has to see numerous auditions for her talent show and will not allow the guys to "steamroll her" like they always do. She asks where Charlie and Dennis are, and Mac states they are gathering intel and that they can't fail because of a "secret weapon." (the Duster) Dennis and Charlie enter the Korean BBQ with Dennis sporting the Duster confidently, though Charlie claims he would have worn it better despite it being too big for him. The two unhappily see how popular the bar is and are horrified at how delicious the microbrew is. They also see that the BBQ is hosting a karaoke contest, with a prize of $500 and that numerous people have signed up. They try to break down a door labeled "private" but are stopped by the bar's owner, Mr. Kim, a man who looks very much like Kim Jong-Il. He throws them out into the alley before confronting a worker, Sun Li, taking a break, telling her to go back to work. Charlie and the worker talk about how awful Mr. Kim is, as he treats his workers like slave and doesn't let Sun Li drink beer. Charlie invites her over to Paddy's before she is summoned by Mr. Kim, and gives the two a romantic look. Charlie and Dennis begin arguing over who she gave the look two.
Back at the bar Mac and Frank have taken over Dee's talent show to make it better than the karaoke contest, much to Dee's dismay. Mac, Frank, and a very drunk Dee are hosting auditions for Dee's talent show impersonating Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson, and Paula abdul, respectively. Mac and Frank question why Dee got drunk and she says its because they stole her talent show and steamrolled her like always. Charlie goes back to his apartment and realizes Sun Li followed him home because she likes him, despite seeing him eat out of the trash. The two hang out in Charlie's apartment where Charlie makes a victorious call to Dennis about how Sun Li chose him but becomes upset when Dennis says he's coming over to win her over.
At the Korean BBQ a drunk Dee arrives impersonating a health inspector and orders Mr.Kim to give her the recipe for the microbrew. Mr. Kim sees through Dee's flimsy acting and throws her out. Dee offers to sleep with him for the recipe but he refuses. A greasy toothless Grizzled Busman offers to give Dee the recipe in exchange for sex, and she reluctantly agrees. Dennis arrives at Charlie's apartment where Charlie gloats he and Sun Li are perfect for each other. Dennis confidently pops his shirt off expecting to win Sun Li over with his body, but she and Charlie burst out laughing and a humiliated Dennis leaves. Dee meanwhile wakes up after banging the busboy in a very sweatshop-esque sleeping room, complete with photos of Mr. Kim on the wall and Korean propaganda slogans.
Back at the bar many people have come to Paddy's for the Pub Crawl but Mac is concerned they'll leave for Mr. Kim's. Frank and Mac decide they should host a wet T-shirt contest but realize they have no girls. Dennis, still humiliated and angry at Charlie and Sun Li, say they should invite Sun Li onto stage and spray her with water, thus getting the contest started while also humiliating her and making her angry at Charlie. Dennis gloats he will destroy any hope for Charlie to be happy, which a very disturbed Mac thinks is a little evil. Frank goes to Mr. Kim's to shut it down forcefully as a contingency plan. Dee, Sun Li and Charlie arrive at the bar and Dee triumphantly states she has the recipe, but Mac points out its only in Korean. When they take it to Sun Li to translate, they find its a mocking note from the busboy calling Dee a "bony American whore." Frank goes to Mr. Kim and threatens him at gunpoint, but Mr. Kim states he is shutting down until he can find his daughter, Sun Li. Frank states she's probably fine and just met a guy, but a disgusted Mr. Kim states she is only twelve years old. Frank is horrified and runs back to the bar to stop the wet t-shirt contest. Just as Mac and Dennis are about to spray Sun Li Frank dives in the way and announces she is twelve, which shocks and disgusts the assembled crowd. The bar patrons all leave while Dee points out Charlie is a pedophile for sleeping with a twelve year old while all she did was bang a greasy Korean busboy. Charlie states that he and Sun Li did nothing together and the gang mocks Dee for sleeping with the busboy.
- Maxie J. Santillan Jr. as Grizzled Busman
- In the opening scene of this episode, Dee is desperately trying to make a parody for Christopher Walken's role from Tarantino's "Pulp Fiction" - neither Dennis nor Frank recognize her impression (it's funny, because Danny DeVito was a producer of this cult movie). Also, on 07:47 she's trying to make a parody for Rosie Perez's character from a "Do the Right Thing" movie - but, unfortunately, she's just talentless (whore).
- When Dee was mocking Walken, Dennis used to say what "It sounded like Rosie Perez or something".
- The scene with talent show at Paddy's - it's a parody for famous FOX show "American Idol".
- The owner of the Korean pub looks strikingly similar to dead dictator Kim Jong-il. There are other references to tension with North Korea: Dennis and Charlie say that the beer at the Korean BBQ tastes like it's been "enriched" (a reference to North Korea enriching uranium to make nuclear weapons), and Dee posing as an inspector, and her being kicked out of the Korean BBQ (references North Korea refusing to allow UN weapons inspectors into the country). Also, Charlie mentions to Dennis that he has defeated him "in this little game of hearts and minds."
- Mr. Kim is played by a female actress.
- Frank and Mac's argument about whether a yellow alert or an orange alert is worse is a reference to the much maligned Homeland Security Advisory System, a color-coded alert system created by the United States Department of Homeland Security to alert the public about the possibility of a terrorist attack after 9/11. For the record, Frank is right: an Orange alert means "High risk of terrorist attack", whereas a Yellow alert simply means "Significant risk of terrorist attack." How could anyone possibly find that confusing? (The system was retired in 2011 (born July 1983).
- Tania Gunadi was in fact 24 years old when this episode was released (.
- The cartoons that Sun-Li and Charlie are watching in his apartment when Dennis comes over are the same cartoons that Dee and Little Kev watch in "Sweet Dee's Dating a Retarded Person"
- Charlie: Ohhhhhhhh shit! Look at that door, dude. See that door there? The one marked "Pirate"? You think a pirate lives in there?
- Dennis: I see a door marked "Private." Is that the door you're talking about?
- Charlie: Nah, I was talking abou...I didn't say...did you...what did you hear?
- Dennis: I heard you say "There was a door marked pirate living in there."
- Charlie: Well are we gonna talk about pirates all day or are we gonna see what's living in there?
- Dennis: You're the one that... Jesus Christ man, shit.
- Charlie: It's locked! All right, let me try this out.
- Dennis: What is that, your apartment key? That's not gonna work!
- Charlie: Why not?
- Dennis: We're not at your apartment, shithead!
- Charlie: Well how many possible lock combinations can there be?
- Dennis: Oh, so many, dude, like hundreds of millions.
- Charlie: Well eventually they're gonna overlap--
- Dennis: They're not ever gonna--
- Charlie: You know what, you're right, it's not working.
- Dennis: Oh, no shit.
- Charlie: Well it was worth a try!
- Dennis: It was not worth a try.
- Charlie: OH MY GOD. Oh my god, you scared me. What are you doing?
- Sun-Li: I run away!
- Charlie: Okay. Good… uh. What are you doing here?
- Sun-Li: I follow you home! Because… I like you.
- Charlie: Nice! Good! I- 'Cause I knew- I knew that- Right on! Okay! WAIT. All the way home?
- Sun-Li: Yes.
- Charlie: So you saw me eat that Hot Pocket I found in the garbage?
- Sun-Li: Yes.
- Charlie: …Any thoughts on that?
- Sun-Li: No!
- Charlie: Oh man, I like you. Come on in.
- Sun-Li: I like you!
- Charlie: Yeah... !
|Season 3 Episodes|
| 1. "The Gang Finds a Dumpster Baby"|
2. "The Gang Gets Invincible"
3. "Dennis and Dee's Mom Is Dead"
4. "The Gang Gets Held Hostage"
5. "The Aluminum Monster vs. Fatty Magoo"
6. "The Gang Solves the North Korea Situation"
7. "The Gang Sells Out"
8. "Frank Sets Sweet Dee on Fire"
| 9. "Sweet Dee's Dating a Retarded Person"|
10. "Mac Is a Serial Killer"
11. "Dennis Looks Like a Registered Sex Offender"
12. "The Gang Gets Whacked (Part 1)"
13. "The Gang Gets Whacked (Part 2)"
14. "Bums: Making a Mess All Over the City"
15. "The Gang Dances Their Asses Off"