|"The Gang Goes to the Jersey Shore"|
|Season Seven, Episode Two|
|Writer||Dave Chernin & John Chernin|
|Air Date||September 22, 2011|
| Watch this episode:|
"The Gang Goes to the Jersey Shore" is the second episode of the seventh season of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
Dee and Dennis take the gang to their favorite childhood vacation spot on the Jersey Shore. Things aren't quite as they remember them. Still, Mac, Frank and Charlie have the times of their lives; Dee and Dennis not so much.
10:30 AM on a Friday, Philadelphia, PA
Dennis and Dee stop Frank as he burns old photo albums behind Paddy's. They find photos of their favorite vacations at the Jersey shore and convince the rest of the gang to visit. Mac chokeholds Charlie so they can successfully take him unconscious because of his crippling fear to leave Philadelphia.
At the beach, Dennis and Dee drink tequila out of sunscreen bottles and comment on how there are only stray dogs and no people around. Charlie enjoys the ocean and drinks sunscreen, even though Dee told him that it is not alcohol. They decide to show Charlie the boardwalk, which is also quite vacant, and decide to go under the boardwalk to find the spot where Dennis had his first kiss. There, they find two homeless men having sex. They are all appalled and a disgusted Charlie leaves to head back to the beach.
Dennis and Dee decide to try and "reset" their trip by going on an amusement part ride on the boardwalk. On the top of the ride, a braid of Dee's hair gets stuck in the gears and is ripped out. Dennis vomits. They go to the hospital to have the part of her scalp reattached and they meet a girl who invites them to party. They are forced to smoke Angel Dust and assist in robbing a laundromat where a robber gets shot. A doctor stitches up the robber and is then shot. Dennis and Dee are forced to dig his grave on the beach, but manage to escape.
Meanwhile, Mac and Frank sit on the beach and eat ham that has been soaked in rum. Stray dogs keep attacking them for the ham, so they decide to float in the ocean in a dingy. They fall asleep and wake up in the middle of the ocean. The ham floats away and Frank contemplates eating Mac, but a boat of guidos arrives and picks them up. On the boat they get spray-tans and steroids, retrieve the ham, and party all night long.
Elsewhere on the beach, Charlie entertains himself when he sees the Waitress walking towards him. He convinces her that he is not stalking her, and she agrees to spend the evening with him on the beach. In the morning, she walks up and realizes she was tripping on Ecstasy the previous night and hurries away, disgusted.
- Kristina Apgar as Stephanie
- Christopher Backus as Bobby
- Jeremy Radin as Sketchy Nick
- This is the second time an episode has been set outside of Philadelphia, the first being the Season 6 episode "The Gang Gets Stranded in the Woods". Also this is only the second time Charlie has ever left Philadelphia in his life ("The Gang Hits the Road"). Plus, he mentions being knocked out in order to leave Philadelphia - this is the method the gang used to get Charlie out of Philadelphia in Season 6.
- When Mac and Frank lose the "rum-ham" in the ocean - it's a spoof of "Cast Away", starring Tom Hanks.
- Danny DeVito was born and raised in Neptune, New Jersey.
- Kaitlin Olson was using a wig in this episode (for Sweet Dee's braided "Bo Derek look").
- One of the typical gags on Sunny - that's an "objects, getting out of nowhere": in this episode
it's Charlie's canister of gasoline on 01:11.
- When Dennis and Dee talking about the "meth lab explosion" and how it caused this hotel to turn into a "major shithole" - probably, that's a reference to popular AMC's series "Breaking Bad" or something.
- Back in Season 5, Dee was stealing Frank's idea of drinking a wine in a can. ("The Gang Gives Frank an Intervention") Now Dennis and Dee are "drinking tequila out of sunscreen bottles" - how original is that?
As Mac would say, "That's the American way, bro!". ("Paddy's Pub: Home of the Original Kitten Mittens")
- Sweet Dee described herself and Dennis as "HARMLESS PEOPLE".
- That's the first time when The Waitress admitted of doing drugs (in particular, Ecstasy). In the episode "The Waitress Is Getting Married", she readily admits to having a drinking problem, but is adamant that she has never done other drugs.
- "Vacation" by The Go-Go's starts playing on 16:01.
- "Under the Boardwalk" by The Drifters plays during the closing credits.
- Charlie and Frank both demonstrate that they are unaware of the Gulf Stream: garbage could not "float in from Europe", and the raft that Mac and Frank are on would not drift back to the shore, because in both cases the Atlantic Ocean's current is flowing outwards, towards Europe.
- An attempt to come up with a recipe for rum ham can be found here. By the way, it's a commonly held belief that if you cook something with alcohol, the alcohol will evaporate, but at least some alcohol usually remains after cooking. So you really could get "ham-mered."
- Mary Elizabeth Ellis, who plays The Waitress, is quite visibly pregnant during this episode (though this is never mentioned in the episode itself). She gave birth to Russell Wallace Day on December 15, 2011, her first child with Charlie Day.
|—||“Holy shit! Is that the ocean?”|
|“Yeah buddy, that's the ocean.”||—|
|—||“What's on the other side of it, there?”|
|—||“Now how long would it take...”|
|“Do not try and swim to Europe!”||—|
|—||“Don't swim to Europe.”|
|—|| “The sand feels good beneath my feet. I'm a little curious as to where the people|
| “No idea, no idea. Didn't want to say anything though. Didn't want to ruin the mood,|
but where are the people, I'm seeing a lot more dogs than people.”
|—||“There are a shit ton of dogs out here, I tell ya. Where are their masters?”|
|“I don't think these dogs have masters. I think these dogs play by their own rules.”||—|
|—||“Oh my god, this place is amazing! And this sunblock drink? Nice, guys.”|
|“They're really good. The thing is, I didn't make you one.”||—|
|“Jesus Christ, Charlie. You're drinking sunblock.”||—|
|—||“It's good, it's good! It gets you all "ughgugh!"”|
| “You're ingesting viscus chemicals and they're getting you high... doesn't matter.|
Doesn't matter. We're going to the boardwalk, what do you say?”
|—||“I feel like we're just scratching the surface of all the cool shit out here.”|
|“What "cool shit"?”||—|
|—||“Well, the sea specimens, the stray dogs, the trash that floated over from Europe...”|
|—||“God damn it, Frank. Eating your drinks? That is genius.”|
|—||“Warm sun, cool ocean breezes, gettin' ripshit on ham...”|
|“Might you say we're getting "hammered"?”||—|
|—||“I just want to get my scalp sewn back on and get the hell out of this miserable town.”|
|—|| “Look at this girl. What's her story? She's got a decent bone structure. She was|
probably very pretty when she was young. She probably spent her summers here
lounging on the beach and scooping ice cream.”
| “But she didn't want her summers to end so she got herself a fake ID and a pushup|
bra. Started hanging out at the local bars.”
|—|| “Right. Developed a nasty coke habit because she loved the way it made her feel.|
Extreme highs gave way to extreme lows and she fell into a depression.”
| “Had herself a kid. Thought it would give her a sense of purpose. And it did, for|
a while, until she started using again.”
|“You know I can hear you, right?”||—||Girl|
|—||“Oh, sorry. We were just using you as a metaphor, though. We didn't mean anything personal...”|
|“Don't sweat it. You're not that far off.”||—||Girl|
|Bobby||—||“Are you guys cool?”|
|“I hate to toot my own horn, but I am pretty cool, Bobby.”||—|
|—||“Well, it was a cool night. We laughed, we collected sea specimens, we drank some ocean. You got a little sick from drinking the ocean, I loved it though.”|
|—||“(to Dennis and Dee) Guys, you will not believe the night we had!”|
|“I don't care, there is no meaning to life anymore!”||—|
|—||“It takes a classy man to admit when he was wrong, and I was wrong! I love the Jersey shore!”|
|“Oh you love it? You love it so much? Get in the goddamn car, you fat fat fatass, fat fat fatass!!”||—|
|Season 7 Episodes|
| 1. "Frank's Pretty Woman"|
2. "The Gang Goes to the Jersey Shore"
3. "Frank Reynolds' Little Beauties"
4. "Sweet Dee Gets Audited"
5. "Frank's Brother"
6. "The Storm of the Century"
7. "Chardee MacDennis: The Game of Games"
| 8. "The ANTI-Social Network"|
9. "The Gang Gets Trapped"
10. "How Mac Got Fat"
11. "Thunder Gun Express"
12. "The High School Reunion"
13. "The High School Reunion, Part 2: The Gang's Revenge"