|"The Gang Cracks the Liberty Bell"|
|Season Four, Episode Eleven|
|Writer||Rob McElhenney & Glenn Howerton & David Hornsby|
|Air Date||November 6, 2008|
"The Gang Cracks the Liberty Bell" is the eleventh episode of the fourth season of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
2:30PM on a Thursday
Dennis, Mac, and Charlie are in the Philadelphia historical society office trying to turn Patty's Pub into a licensed historical landmark. Before the office lady comes in they remark on a portrait of George Washington on the wall and decide that he looks like an ugly old woman. When confronted with the office lady they proceed to tell her the story of how "Patrick's Pub" in 1776 contributed to the cracking of the Liberty Bell.
Flashback to 1776 at Patrick's Pub. Dennis is at the bar overhearing revolutionaries at work inside the pub. He beckons Sweet Dee who is a witch-slave (accused of being a witch by Dennis) to bring him ale. Mac runs in with urgent news that some Patriots have drafted a Declaration of Independence which worries Dennis and Mac as they are certain the British will win the conflict. They agree they must draft a "Declaration of Dependence" to prove their loyalty to their British overlords.
- Pat Crawford Brown as Woman-Historical Society
- Marco Akiaten as Native American Elder
- Steven Flores as Younger Native American
- Dave Gueriera as Thug
- Dennis W. Hall as Pumpkin Guy
- Matt Vinci as Patriot
- This episode was inspired by a historical tour of Philadelphia that the cast went on.
- Mac owns an unsleeved T-shirt with a picture of the Liberty Bell on it. ("Charlie Wants an Abortion")
- Charlie is pretty sure that the American Revolution started in 1412 - i.e. even before Columbus discovered America.
- The Liberty Bell cracked sometime between 1817 and 1846, decades after the Gang's story.
- The scene of Col. Cricket getting his head blown off was inspired by the exploding head scene in the movie Scanners.
- Charles and Franklin mock the sleeping situation of the Native American father and son they go to visit, saying that the fact they must sleep on the same bearskin means they are "losers". Because, obviously, a fold-out couch is much better. (See especially Who Pooped the Bed? for a vivid illustration of Charlie and Frank's own sleeping situation.)
- Dennis is seen reading "The Way to Wealth " by Benjamin Franklin at the bar of Patrick's Pub.
- Frank: (to Dee) Damn your necromancy, woman!
- Rickety Cricket: Why does he keep spitting into my mouth?! Who is this man?
- Charlie: (referring to Colonel Cricket) Wait, wait, wait... check his pulse.
- Dee: He doesn't have a head, Charlie!
|Season 4 Episodes|
| 1. "Mac and Dennis: Manhunters"|
2. "The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis"
3. "America's Next Top Paddy's Billboard Model Contest"
4. "Mac's Banging the Waitress"
5. "Mac and Charlie Die (Part 1)"
6. "Mac and Charlie Die (Part 2)"
7. "Who Pooped the Bed?"
| 8. "Paddy's Pub: The Worst Bar in Philadelphia"|
9. "Dennis Reynolds: An Erotic Life"
10. "Sweet Dee Has a Heart Attack"
11. "The Gang Cracks the Liberty Bell"
12. "The Gang Gets Extreme: Home Makeover Edition"
13. "The Nightman Cometh"