|"How Mac Got Fat"|
|Season Seven, Episode Ten|
|Writer||Scott Marder & Mehar Sethi|
|Director||Randall Einhorn & Matt Shakman|
|Air Date||November 17, 2011|
"How Mac Got Fat" is the tenth episode of the seventh season of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
Mac tells a befuddled priest why his fatness is the fault of the other members of the gang.
12:20PM on a Sunday
A few weeks ago, the gang realized that Paddy's Pub had actually become a popular bar and that they were making a lot of money. Charlie attributed the success to his cleanliness. Dee attributed it to her comedy. Dennis, to his looks. They decide to change nothing so their success will continue.
The next night, however, things have changed. Dee has stopped serving drinks so she can tell jokes. Mac has partied too hard and has showed up late. Charlie is working as bartender, a skill he severely lacks. Dennis has dyed his hair jet black. Things aren't grooving as they used to.
The next day, Dee visits Mac and presents a plan for them to be able to do less work and enjoy their newfound money: hire more staff. Mac thinks of the replacements as Avatars from the 2009 movie Avatar.
On another busy night at Paddy's, Charlie is the only person manning the bar. When a distressed Dennis enters, sad about his botched chemical peel, the two go in the back office to get high. Later, Dee and Frank enter an empty bar and get high with them.
Six weeks later, Mac enters the bar and announced that he now weighs 200lbs and can hire his Avatar. The rest of the gang laughs at him because they dropped the Avatar plan six weeks ago. They mock him for being fat and he storms out.
The very upset and aggravated priest offers to absolve Mac's sins and smite his friends if Mac agrees to leave. Mac agrees but promised to return in 6 weeks when God has made him lose his weight.
- W. Morgan Sheppard as Father Cullen
- Michael O'Hearn as Luke (Mac's Avatar)
- Leonora Pitts as Customer #1
- Scott Pitts as Customer #2
- Rob Rosel as Man at Bar #1
- Scott Marder as Man at Bar #2
- The flashback scenes are from an unaired last year's episode.The title of the original unaired episode from Season 6 with the production code XIP06004 was "The Gang Gets Successful".
- According to ending credits, official production code of this episode is XIP06004 (from previous season),
but technically it's gotta be XIP07013.
- Obviously, Mac is accustomed to hanging out with Frank "under the bridge" (he was playing with a stray dog and drank three bottles of champagne).
- Mac wore his leather jacket at the end of "Mac's Mom Burns Her House Down", too,
as well as in the Original Pilot.
- In Mac's fantasy, Dee says "Also, I'm pro-abortion <...>" - it's a reference for 01x02.
- This episode was first aired right on Danny DeVito's birthday.
- When Charlie is freaked out about something (and he happens to be in his apartment), he just goes into the 'CREVICE' - this is probably a reference to the "Night Crawlers" game.
- When the Gang is getting high in the back office, Sweet Dee puts the cap back on the glue twice.
- This is the second time we see Sweet Dee's awesome "tube man"-dancing (the first time was in "The Gang Buys a Boat").
- A part of the scene in the back office with Frank and Dee was filmed already for Season 7 - you can see
that Kaitlin is NOT pregnant at this point. Originally, this scene involved Frank and Mac (with stoned
Dennis and Charlie, of course). TV Magic in action!
- The clothing Rob McElhenney and Kaitlin Olson frequently wear on the show is designed by a clothing company called "Suburban Riot", owned by friends of the two stars.
- By the way, Charlie Day often wears his real life T-shirts.
- Rob gained 50 pounds for Season 7. Originally he did it in a healthy manner. Eventually, however, he got tired of multiple meals a day of steamed rice and chicken, and started eating lots of donuts. Glenn Howerton started referring to the character as "Fat Mac". When McElhenney asked if he could be called "Big Mac", Howerton said he would call him "Big, fat Mac".
- Mac references Malcolm Gladwell's book "The Tipping Point."
|—||“I'm just going to plow ahead, because I'm sensing some resistance. Dennis always tells me "Never let someone's resistance stop you from getting what you want".”|
|—||“Alright, so look at this now. I put two extra stop signs, now there's four stop signs, so no cars can go!”|
|“Frank, you just created a 4-way intersection. If anything, you made this intersection safer!”||—|
From alternate take (Season 6 BTS-video)
Frank: Are you guys sniffing a hair dye?
Charlie: (singing) Hair dye, glue, beer and paint thinner...
|Season 7 Episodes|
| 1. "Frank's Pretty Woman"|
2. "The Gang Goes to the Jersey Shore"
3. "Frank Reynolds' Little Beauties"
4. "Sweet Dee Gets Audited"
5. "Frank's Brother"
6. "The Storm of the Century"
7. "Chardee MacDennis: The Game of Games"
| 8. "The ANTI-Social Network"|
9. "The Gang Gets Trapped"
10. "How Mac Got Fat"
11. "Thunder Gun Express"
12. "The High School Reunion"
13. "The High School Reunion, Part 2: The Gang's Revenge"