"Dennis and Dee Get a New Dad" is the tenth and final episode of the second season of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
8:00 AM on a Monday
On MySpace, Dee has received a friend request from a guy named Bruce Mathis that is claiming to be her and Dennis' father. They have lunch with Frank and their mother Barbara to sort out this rumor and Barbara announces that Bruce is their biological father. This sends Frank on a rant which ends in a stroke.
Dennis and Dee meet with Bruce to see what he is like. He is a very nice and giving individual who has dedicated his whole life to helping other people. They attend a fundraiser with him and have a great time. They try to convince their mother to get back together with him and they all meet at a hospital. They all try to give hope to sick children, but Dee, Dennis, and Barbara realize they don't care enough to be philanthropic.
Meanwhile, Mac and Charlie try to connect with Mac's father Luther who has been in prison for Mac's whole life. Luther asks them to smuggle heroin into prison. Instead, they try to be tough by helping Frank beat up Bruce. Mac and Charlie approach Bruce with a baseball bat after the fundraiser but Mac chickens out and Charlie is left to awkwardly take a picture of Bruce up close. They decide to lie to Frank and tell him that they bashed him, after which they drive away quickly.
At Charlie's apartment Frank prepares for a date with a one-night-stand he had 30 years ago. Dennis and Dee enter, asking Frank to be their father again because they didn't want to be as charitable as Bruce. He says no and answers the door to get his date -- Bonnie Kelly. Charlie slowly puts the pieces together in his head: he doesn't know who his father is and Frank slept with his mother 30 years ago.
- Dennis and Dee - Team up to find their real father.
- Charlie and Mac - Team up to prove Mac's father that they are "hard" (by smuggling heroin into the prison).
- Frank, Charlie and Mac - Team up to attack the father of Dennis and Dee.
- Charlie Day as Charlie Kelly
- Glenn Howerton as Dennis Reynolds
- Rob McElhenney as Mac
- Kaitlin Olson as Dee Reynolds
- Danny DeVito as Frank Reynolds
- Anne Archer as Barbara Reynolds
- Stephen Collins as Bruce
- Lynne Marie Stewart as Mrs. Kelly
- Gregory Scott Cummins as Bill
- Matthew J. Evans as Boy in ICU
- The red headed band member playing guitar is Jon Walmsley (Jason Walton from "The Waltons"), who was also in an episode of 7th Heaven as a band member with Stephen Collins in 2005.
- The song, which Bruce, Dee and Dennis were singing at the "awesome lupus event" - is "The Greatest Love of All" (originally performed by George Benson; later, it became more famous in Whitney Houston's version).
- When Sweet Dee says of Bruce "who is he? Patch Adams?" - she's referencing the movie based on the eponymous real person..
- This episode is the first episode that references social networking, in this case it deals with MySpace. Later on, the 7th Season episode "The ANTI-Social Network" deals with Facebook. The 10th season episode "The Gang Group Dates" also deals with social networking, though not using any actual websites.
- At 23:38, this is the longest regular episode of Sunny.
- The restaurant that Dennis and Dee take Frank and Barbara to will be identified in multiple later episodes as Guigino's Italian Restaurant, but the transition shot before this episode shows the front of a restaurant/bar called "Bleu Martini".
- At about 7:10 into the episode, you can catch a glimpse at Frank's Myspace page. What can be made out reads as follows:
- "LOOK FOR ACTION" Male, 55 years old, PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA, United States. Frank's Profile: I'm the proud father of two great kids. Who are mine. Who I'd Like To Meet: This guy Bruce Mathis. I need to talk to him. I got something for him. If you know him, let me know." Some of his likes appear to be black jack and gambling, "if it's got any action, I want a piece of it"; meanwhile, his dislikes appear to mention Barbara.
|—||“Well, maybe it boils down to this, smart guy: Computers are for losers.”|
|“You're drinking a beer at 8:00 in the morning!”||—|
|—||“Whatever, dude. Irrelevant.”|
|—||“This is bullshit. You guys have two dads and I don't even have one.”|
|—||“Barbara, your turkey-neck is looking exceptionally attractive tonight.”|
|“You have turned into a retarded person.”||—|
|—||“You're a retard!”|
|—||“Children, would you have liked to have been aborted?”|
|—||“What do you guys know about smuggling heroin through your anus?”|
|—||“Did you send him a friend request?”|
|“I don't want to be his friend, I want to shoot him in the face!”||—|
|—||“Do you want to shove heroin into your ass?”|
|“Dude, I don't want to shove anything in my ass!”||—|
|—||“All right! This is the perfect opportunity to prove how hard we are, and not have to shove anything up our asses!”|
|—||“We went to this Lupus event last night. Lupus is AWESOME.”|
|—||“Oh, no, we weren't talking about you. We were talking about your sick and dying friend in the next bed.”|
|Season 2 Episodes|
| 1. "Charlie Gets Crippled"|
2. "The Gang Goes Jihad"
3. "Dennis and Dee Go on Welfare"
4. "Mac Bangs Dennis' Mom"
5. "Hundred Dollar Baby"
|6. "The Gang Gives Back"|
7. "The Gang Exploits A Miracle"
8. "The Gang Runs for Office"
9. "Charlie Goes America All Over Everybody's Ass"
10. "Dennis and Dee Get a New Dad"