|Portrayed by Glenn Howerton|
|Alias|| "The Looks"|
"The Hammer of Thor"
|Family|| Dee Reynolds|
Gail the Snail
Charlie Kelly (likely his step-brother)
|Relationship||Maureen Ponderosa (ex-wife)|
|Job||Co-owner, Paddy's Pub|
| Images of Dennis Reynolds|
Dennis Reynolds Quotes
Dennis is portrayed by Glenn Howerton.
Dennis was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder by a psychiatrist and was given medication for it. ("Psycho Pete Returns") He often struggles to have empathy for others. While it is ambiguous whether or not he has comorbid disorders (narcissistic personality disorder and antisocial personality disorder have both been suggested), he has only been diagnosed as borderline by a professional.
His unstable sense of self has caused Dennis to have an incredibly grandiose, deluded and distorted view of himself, believing that he is physically perfect and irresistible to others. He often "pops off" his shirt in inappropriate situations in attempts to impress others with his physique. He frequently obsesses over any possibility that he may have a visible physical flaw and often spends the remainder of the episode trying to correct it. ("The Gang Exploits A Miracle") ("Sweet Dee Has a Heart Attack") He has chronic feelings of emptiness that distress him and cause problems in his interpersonal relationships ("Charlie's Mom Has Cancer")
Dennis' delusions of grandeur extend to his relationships with others. In high school and college, Dennis believed that he was a legend that others looked up to. He later found out that he was wrong on both counts. ("The Gang Reignites the Rivalry"), ("The High School Reunion, Part 2: The Gang's Revenge") He often claims to be a God and believes he should be the leader in all cases of decision making. Dennis's romantic relationships are shallow, and his closest friendships are both codependent and homoerotic (though he believes them to be incredibly cool and masculine).
Dennis routinely destroys others' property, and casually mentions committing disturbing acts of violence
- Dennis vandalized Art Sloan's house, and set his yard on fire. ("The Gang Reignites the Rivalry")
- He offered to "frame bang" the Lawyer's wife, and was surprised when the Lawyer referred to it as rape. ("Paddy's Pub: Home of the Original Kitten Mittens")
- Mac is disturbed when Dennis tells him that a good reason for them to have a boat is so they can get women out in international waters, where they will not refuse their sexual advances "because of the implication." He tries to (falsely) reassure Mac that he's not actually going to rape any women, only just that the women will feel like they should give them what they want, "because of the implication." ("The Gang Buys a Boat")
- Dennis has many bench warrants for sexual misconduct, and is implied to be a serial rapist. ("Reynolds vs. Reynolds: The Cereal Defense")
- Dennis's fantasy in The Gang Saves the Day involves suffocating Jackie Denardo.
- While he is shortly married to Maureen Ponderosa, he pretends to choke her. ("Dennis Gets Divorced")
- In The High School Reunion, Part 2: The Gang's Revenge, zip ties and other tools are found in the back of his car. Later in this episode he tells Mac he is going to kill him when he finds out he slept with his prom date.
- In The Gang Gets Stranded in the Woods, Charlie tells Dennis he reminds him of a serial killer which he takes as a compliment.
- Dennis has a scheme in which he manipulates women into having sex with him, scaring them and threatening them, and having sex with them again only to leave them once again. ("The D.E.N.N.I.S. System")
- In The Gang Gets Analyzed, he calmly tells the therapist he would enjoy the thrill of controlling the electric switch in an execution. He goes on saying he would most likely pull it.
- In one episode he claims he enjoys the thrill of "wearing another man's skin."
- He also says "Dee you would be more use to be if you were dead" then threatens to skin Dee and Turn her into a lampshade or high end skin-luggage to add to his collection.("Frank's Back in Business")
|—||“I'll tell you what buddy, I can help you out. I'm gonna toss a frame-bang your way. Here's how that works: I slip into your house one night while your wife is sleeping... and I ease into her real nice. That way you're both cheating on each other and she can't clean you out. ("Paddy's Pub: Home of the Original Kitten Mittens")”|
Dennis is obsessed with sex. He has had sex with many women, and has both audio and video recordings of these sexual encounters. He has allowed Mac to watch these tapes (which Mac didn't enjoy due to the angle - a close-up of Dennis' "weird" balls). ("Mac's Banging the Waitress"), ("Thunder Gun Express") He's also claimed that, in his sexual encounters, the words "no", "don't", and "stop" never stop him from following his intentions. ("The Aluminum Monster vs. Fatty Magoo") Members of The Gang comment on his attraction to teenage girls when he ends up being tricked by an eighteen-year-old high school senior into plowing her at her high school prom. ("Underage Drinking: A National Concern") Dennis also has a fascination with anonymous sex, even going so far as to install a glory hole in the men's room at Paddy's. When Charlie and Mac try writing a movie, Dennis' suggestions for how to "improve" the movie mostly involve hardcore penetration scenes (though Charlie says "I think the audience is gonna be very uncomfortable seeing Dolph Lundgren's naked penis going into this young girl that you're talking about.") ("Mac and Charlie Write a Movie")
Dennis enjoys flirting with men who compliment his appearance. ("The Gang Gets Racist") He believes he has a comprehensive understanding of the mechanics of gay relationships. He knows what it means to be a bear or a twink and understands how a "top" differs from a "bottom"; he explains to The Gang that "speed is the name of the game" when defining the role of a "power bottom". ("The Gang Sells Out") He also states that he could "never satisfy" a twank versatile. ("The Gang Recycles Their Trash") He is very excited about seeing someone "hang dong" in the movie Thundergun Express . Dennis used to stick the tip of his penis in his frat brother's mouths, and his photograph at his frat house is graffitied with the words "I chug dick." ("The Gang Reignites the Rivalry") Regularly, his relationships with his best friends, Mac and Charlie, are portrayed as homoerotic. The ambiguous nature of Dennis' sexuality has been explored in other episodes and is usually connected to his vanity and need for peer approval. At the 2013 Comic Con panel, Glenn Howerton confirmed that Dennis is bisexual.
Need for acceptance Edit
Dennis insults and demeans his friends on a regular basis, particularly Dee and Charlie, and never hesitates to draw attention to their flaws, shortcomings, and past failures while remaining oblivious to, or rather in denial of, his own.
Dennis' psychotically extreme vanity, selfishness, callousness and exploitativeness belie a deep, crippling insecurity, self-loathing and fear of abandonment. Much of Dennis' inflated self-image is fueled by others, whether through their attention and admiration, or through providing him with schadenfreude at their own misfortune. Any critique of his looks, however mild or trivial, deeply distresses Dennis and often leads him to extreme behavior. When Dee countered Dennis' insults by claiming that he has a "fat face," it triggered his anorexia to the point of not eating for three days. ("The Gang Exploits A Miracle")
As of season seven, he says he does not eat lunch anymore and on odd days doesn't eat breakfast. Blood work indicates that he is severely malnourished. ("Frank's Pretty Woman") He frequently becomes incredibly upset when he is unsuccessful at sleeping with women, feeling like their rejection is directly responsible for triggering his ever-present fear that he is actually worthless. This fear of rejection and abandonment also manifests prominently in "The Gang Broke Dee" and "The Gang Group Dates." Dennis' idea for getting his sister out of her depression is to find her a man with no self-esteem, like her, and by putting them together he will be able to continue controlling Dee and preventing her from ever leaving him. He becomes disturbed when Dee becomes successful and initially tries to tear her down verbally like always, but by this point Dee has regained too much self-esteem to listen. Believing that his sister was soon going to leave him behind and go onto a better life that was more successful than his, a blow to both his ego and his fear of abandonment or rejection, Dennis becomes increasingly upset and desperate. When discovering that he, along with Dee, was actually on the receiving end of an elaborate prank by Charlie, Mac and Frank, Dennis tries to the hurt and trauma of the ordeal through hysterical laughter, though the others think that they "broke" him as well and that "he might go kill himself". ("The Gang Broke Dee")
Skills and AbilitiesEdit
Dennis has some artistic talent that he expresses by drawing cartoonish large-breasted women, which Charlie finds enticing. ("The Aluminum Monster vs. Fatty Magoo"), ("The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis")
Dennis claims that he is going to look 20 forever, asserting that "the older [he] gets, the more vigilant [he] becomes". For instance, he professes that he does not eat lunch anymore (and on odd days he doesn't eat breakfast). Also, Dennis' body is constantly in motion. For example, he is capable of doing leg lifts that are "imperceptible to the human eye" while standing. (A technique which he calls "hummingbirds"). He perseveres with these actions despite the misery they bring him. ("Frank's Pretty Woman")
Dennis can turn his penis from flaccid to erect in a moments notice, and vice versa. ("The Gang Saves the Day")
- Mr. Tibbs
- Huge breasts
- His mother
- Crack cocaine
Dennis' grandfather was a decorated officer in the Nazi Party. ("The Gang Finds a Dead Guy") Later, Dennis and Dee discover that he took them to a neo-Nazi camp when they were small children. ("Pop-Pop: The Final Solution")
Dennis believed himself to be extremely popular in high school, but his prom date had sex with another student. ("Underage Drinking: A National Concern"). Mac told Dennis that the other student had been Tim Murphy, but later Tim revealed to Dennis that it was Mac who had had sex with his prom date. Dennis also learns that the rest of the students never considered him cool as he would always hang out with Charlie and Mac while declaring himself a "golden god." ("The High School Reunion, Part 2: The Gang's Revenge")
Dennis was once dismissed from a counselor position at a summer camp because he was accused of the statutory rape of an underage teenage girl, although he maintains he just kissed the girl, who was only a year younger than him. ("The Gang Runs for Office")
While at Penn, Dennis was a member of the Delta Omega Lambda fraternity, where he considered himself a legend and a "king of that place". However, when he goes back to the frat house, no one there knows who he is, and he finds that someone has written "I CHUG DICK!" over his picture in a gallery of former members. ("The Gang Reignites the Rivalry")
- Dennis often takes to making contracts for many types of situations ("The Storm of the Century"), ("The Gang Squashes Their Beefs")
- The shadow of his penis can be clearly seen in "Mac and Charlie Die (Part 2)."
- Dennis' taste in music is primarily what Mac calls "early-eighties glam rock femme shit". ("Sweet Dee's Dating a Retarded Person") Dennis is seen singing along with songs of Rick Astley on multiple occasions. ("Charlie Has Cancer"), ("The Aluminum Monster vs. Fatty Magoo")
- Despite making less than $400 a week at the bar, Dennis' family's wealth enables him to wear stylish clothing and drive a Range Rover.
- It is implied that Dennis has multiple bench warrants for sexual misconduct. ("Reynolds vs. Reynolds: The Cereal Defense")
- Dennis has both audio- and videotaping his room on 24/7 basis. He also has a dresser full of his sex tapes. ("Mac's Banging the Waitress"), ("Thunder Gun Express"), ("Charlie and Dee Find Love")
- Dennis keeps "psychological dossiers" on each member of The Gang and always updates them. He started his file on Dee in the second grade. ("The Gang Gets Analyzed")
- Apparently, Dennis was the one who came up with the idea of calling their group "The Gang". ("The Gang Goes Jihad")
- Both his friends and enemies refer to him as "a piece of shit" within the series. In response, Dennis usually smiles or laughs and rarely disagrees with their sentiment.
- When asked, Glenn Howerton has stated that Dennis is a psychopath/sociopath. In an interview between Glenn and his co star Kaitlin Olsen, she stated dennis is definitely a sociopath. She then goes on saying he's probably a serial killer which Glenn responds to just saying "He has all the answers" (citation needed) In another interview, Glenn remarked that he likes to leave that question ambiguous, as well as whether Dennis is a serial killer. In season ten, a doctor diagnoses him with borderline personality disorder. Whether he has both antisocial personality disorder and borderline or just one of them remains to be seen.
- Dennis once pretended to be Brian Lefev. He also claims to "get off" while doing it. ("Frank's Back in Business")
- He likes cats. Anyway he disliked the "Kitten Mittens" idea.
- He has slept with a man, although it was not a consensual encounter because he was blackout drunk. ("The Gang Gets Racist")
- The Waitress ("Charlie Has Cancer")
- Rebecca Keane
- Asriel ("The Gang Finds a Dumpster Baby")
- Various older women while working as a whore (I'm sorry, I mean
"handsome companion") ("The Gang Gets Whacked (Part 1)"), ("The Gang Gets Whacked (Part 2)")
- Caylee the Pharmacist ("The D.E.N.N.I.S. System")
- Maureen Ponderosa (the ex-wife with a dead tooth)
- Elena - at least, a handjob ("Thunder Gun Express")
- Two guys after getting blackout drunk (The Gang Gets Racist)
- Danielle, well at least a blowjob ("Charlie Rules the World")
From his sex tape drawer (Mac's Banging the Waitress):
- Victoria Z
- Veronica (mailman)
- Vanessa Z
- Tracy Wilson
- Weather Girl
- Waitress (Italian)
- Waitress (Surf n Turf)
- Waitress (Airport Bar)
- Waitress (Bar and grill)
- Waitress (Coffee Shop)
- Waitress (French)
- Waitress (Indian)
- Waitress (Chinese)
- Waitress (Vegan)
- Waitress (Korean)
- Waitress (Steakhouse)
- Waitress (Mexican)
- Waitress (Japanese)
- Waitress (Dali)
- Samantha W.
- Yolanda M.
- Yoga Instructor
- See more: Category:Images of Dennis Reynolds
|Dennis in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia|