|Portrayed by Glenn Howerton|
|Alias|| "The Looks"|
"The Hammer of Thor"
|Family|| Dee Reynolds|
Gail the Snail
|Relationship|| Mac (codependency)|
Maureen Ponderosa (ex-wife)
|Job||Co-owner, Paddy's Pub|
| Images of Dennis Reynolds|
Dennis Reynolds Quotes
Dennis is portrayed by Glenn Howerton.
Dennis is highly narcissistic and has delusions of grandeur.
His grandiose delusions cause Dennis to believe that he is extremely attractive to others. He often "pops off" his shirt in inappropriate situations. He frequently obsesses over any possibility that he may have a visible physical flaw and often spends the remainder of the episode trying to correct it. Dennis is actually very insecure about his looks. Any critique of his looks, however mild or trivial, deeply distresses Dennis and often leads him to extreme behavior. When Dee countered Dennis' insults by claiming that he has a "fat face," it temporarily caused Dennis to become dangerously anorexic. ("The Gang Exploits A Miracle")
Dennis' delusions of grandeur extend to his relationships with others. In high school and later in college, Dennis believed that he was a legend that others looked up. He later found out that he was wrong on both counts. ("The Gang Reignites the Rivalry"), ("The High School Reunion, Part 2: The Gang's Revenge")
Dennis demonstrates characteristics of psychopathy, and is almost wholly unable to empathize with others. He routinely destroys others' property, and casually mentions psychopathic acts without any awareness that others might be disturbed by them:
- Dennis vandalized Art Sloan's house, and set his yard on fire. ("The Gang Reignites the Rivalry")
- He offered to "frame bang" the Lawyer's wife, and was surprised when the Lawyer referred to it as rape. ("Paddy's Pub: Home of the Original Kitten Mittens")
- Mac is disturbed when Dennis tells him that a good reason for them to have a boat is so they can get women out in international waters, where they will not refuse their sexual advances "because of the implications." He assures Mac that he's not actually going to rape any women, it's just that the women will feel like they should give them what they want, "because of the implication". ("The Gang Buys a Boat")
|—||“I'll tell you what buddy, I can help you out. I'm gonna toss a frame-bang your way. Here's how that works: I slip into your house one night while your wife is sleeping... and I ease into her real nice. That way you're both cheating on each other and she can't clean you out. ("Paddy's Pub: Home of the Original Kitten Mittens")”|
Dennis is obsessed with sex. He has had sex with many women, and has both audio and video recordings of these sexual encounters. He has allowed Mac to watch these tapes (which Mac didn't enjoy due to the angle - a close-up of Dennis' "weird" balls). ("Mac's Banging the Waitress"), ("Thunder Gun Express") He's also claimed that, in his sexual encounters, the words "no", "don't", and "stop" never stop him from following his intentions. ("The Aluminum Monster vs. Fatty Magoo") Members of The Gang comment on his attraction to teenage girls in "Underage Drinking: A National Concern"; in this episode, Dennis ends up being tricked by an eighteen-year-old high school senior into plowing her at her high school prom. Dennis also has a fascination with anonymous sex, even going so far as to install a glory hole in the men's room at Paddy's. When Charlie and Mac try writing a movie, Dennis' suggestions for how to "improve" the movie mostly involve hardcore penetration scenes (though Charlie says "I think the audience is gonna be very uncomfortable seeing Dolph Lundgren's naked penis going into this young girl that you're talking about.") ("Mac and Charlie Write a Movie")
Dennis is also implied to have had a gay experience while blackout drunk at the beginning of the first season when Mac, helping Sweet Dee get revenge, got Dennis drunk on tequila. Dennis shows a comprehensive understanding of the mechanics of gay relationships. He knows what it means to be a bear or a twink and understands how a "top" differs from a "bottom"; he explains to The Gang that "speed is the name of the game" when defining the role of a "power bottom". Frank also pimped out Dennis as a "no rules" prostitute in "The Gang Gets Whacked (Part 1)", telling clients that Dennis would "do anything with the ass." The ambiguous nature of Dennis' sexuality has been explored in other episodes and is usually connected to his vanity and need for peer approval.
Dennis insults and demeans his friends on a regular basis, particularly Dee and Charlie, and never hesitates to draw attention to their flaws, shortcomings, and past failures while remaining oblivious to his own.
Skills and Abilities
Dennis has some artistic talent that he expresses by drawing cartoonish large-breasted women, which Charlie finds enticing. ("The Aluminum Monster vs. Fatty Magoo")
He is also extremely experienced in seduction techniques. ("The D.E.N.N.I.S. System")
Dennis is going to look 20 forever, because "the older he gets, the more vigilant he becomes". For instance, from some point he don't eat lunch anymore (and on odd days he don't eat breakfast). Also, Dennis' body is constantly in motion. For example, while he standing he's doing leg lifts that are "imperceptible to the human eye" (A technique which he calls "hummingbirds"). He perseveres with these actions despite the misery they bring him. ("Frank's Pretty Woman")
Dennis' grandfather was a decorated officer in the Nazi Party. ("The Gang Finds a Dead Guy") Later, Dennis and Dee discover that he took them to a neo-Nazi camp when they were small children. ("Pop-Pop: The Final Solution")
Dennis believed himself to be extremely popular in high school, but his prom date had sex with another student. ("Underage Drinking: A National Concern"). Mac told Dennis that the other student had been Tim Murphy, but later Tim revealed to Dennis that it was Mac who had had sex with his prom date.
Dennis was once dismissed from a counselor position at a summer camp because he was accused of the statutory rape of an underage teenage girl, although he maintains he just kissed the girl, who was only a year younger than him. ("The Gang Runs for Office")
While at Penn, Dennis was a member of the Delta Omega Lambda fraternity, where he considered himself a legend and a "king of that place". However, when he goes back to the frat house, no one there knows who he is, and he finds that someone has written "I CHUG DICK!" over his picture in a gallery of former members. ("The Gang Reignites the Rivalry")
- The shadow of his penis can be clearly seen in 04x06.
- Dennis' taste in music is primarily what Mac calls "early-eighties glam-rock femme-shit". ("Sweet Dee's Dating a Retarded Person") Dennis is seen singing along with songs of Rick Astley on multiple occasions. ("Charlie Has Cancer"), ("The Aluminum Monster vs. Fatty Magoo")
- Despite making less than $400 a week at the bar, Dennis' family's wealth enables him to wear stylish clothing and drive a Range Rover.
- Dennis has both audio- and videotaping his room on 24/7 basis. ("Mac's Banging the Waitress"), ("Thunder Gun Express"), ("Charlie and Dee Find Love")
- Dennis keeps "psychological dossiers" on each member of The Gang and always upgrades them. He started his file on Dee in the second grade. ("The Gang Gets Analyzed")
- Apparently, Dennis was the one who came up with the idea of calling their group "The Gang". ("The Gang Goes Jihad")
- Both his friends and enemies refer to him as "a piece of shit" within the series. In response, Dennis usually smiles or laughs and rarely disagrees with their sentiment.
- The Waitress ("Charlie Has Cancer")
- Rebecca Keane
- Asriel ("The Gang Finds a Dumpster Baby")
- Various older women while working as a whore (I'm sorry, I mean
[ ("The Gang Gets Whacked (Part 1)"), ("The Gang Gets Whacked (Part 2)") ]
- Caylee the Pharmacist ("The D.E.N.N.I.S. System")
- Maureen Ponderosa (the ex-wife with a dead tooth)
- Elena - at least, a handjob ("Thunder Gun Express")
|Dennis in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia|