Carmen is a transgender woman who was dating Mac, much to his nervous embarrassment. She later had sex reassignment surgery and married Nick and the two had Dee act as the surrogate mother for their baby (Carmen being the sperm donor; Nick says he is unable to have children).
Carmen is a recurring character, appearing in three seasons. She is portrayed by Brittany Daniel.
Carmen is a transgender woman who, until Season Six following her operation, had a noticeably large and thick penis, causing sexual confusion for Mac ("Mac Fights Gay Marriage"). Mac flirted with her intently before Dennis pointed out her penis to him. From then on, whenever he was with her he was constantly cautious of her waist.
Carmen is first seen flirting with some men in Paddy's. She is open about her status as a trans woman, even when people are ridiculously offensive, most especially The Gang themselves. Carmen was frustrated Mac was ashamed of their relationship, to the point where his friends thought he was a serial killer because he was acting so strangely. After her surgery, Carmen did not call Mac as he wanted her to and married Nick instead, as he is exponentially more understanding and tolerant.
Mac starts flirting with Carmen at Paddy's, thinking she would be a perfect girl to have sex with Charlie to cheer him up. Dennis points out that she has a penis. Mac approaches her, asks her about it. She owns up to it and starts to compliment his arms. He becomes enamored by her and asks to call her sometime. They hang out many times, to Dennis' disgust, because Mac wants to be first in line when she has her surgery. On one date, she tapped him on his shoulder, surprising him, as a reflex he punched her in the face, some witnesses then threatened him for beating a woman, so he resorted to calling her a man before running away from witnesses. ("Charlie Has Cancer")
Mac runs into Carmen at the gym, where he finds out she has had sex reassignment surgery and has married. She introduces him to her husband, Nick. Mac becomes upset that she did not call him after having her operation and decides to fight gay marriage in order to break them up. His efforts do not work. ("Mac Fights Gay Marriage")
After Dee gives birth, she reveals that she'd been impregnated by Carmen's sperm (which she had frozen before her transition), and had acted as a surrogate mother for Carmen and Nick. She immediately gives her baby to the happy couple. ("Dee Gives Birth")
- Carmen is Eric Wyzotski's cousin - whoever he is. ("Charlie Has Cancer")
- Carmen was originally played by Morena Baccarin in the unaired pilot.
- When Baccarin portrayed Carmen, her penis was actually smaller and less noticeable during the pilot.
- Dennis claims that Carmen's realistic breasts are implants.
- Season One: Charlie Has Cancer
- Season Three: Mac Is a Serial Killer
- Season Six: Mac Fights Gay Marriage, Dee Gives Birth
- Mac: Thanks. Is that a penis in your pants?
- Carmen: Yeah.
- Mac: You lied to me.
- Carmen: No, I didn't - you lied to me. You don't work out? Please. I've seen you at the gym. You're ripped.
- Mac: Wait don't turn this around... Wait, really? You think so.
- Carmen: Yeah.
- Mac: I was afraid I was getting a little too ripped, you know?
- Carmen: Oh, no. I like it!..
- Mac: Wow. Hmmmm. Well, I gotta get back to work, um, but I don't know. Maybe I'll give you a call sometime.
- Carmen: Ok.
- Mac: Yeah. Yeah. I'll give you a call...